Attorney for a Case in Hammonton Joint Municipal Court

Table of Contents

    The joint municipal court in Hammonton, NJ handles mostly relatively minor cases. Even so, that does not mean you do not have to worry. Talk to an attorney about how to handle your case in the joint municipal court.

    Various offenses may be heard in the joint municipal court, including traffic and parking violations, disorderly persons offenses, and petter disorderly persons offenses, among others. These cases are usually minor, but the penalties might be harsher than you realize. Even though the charges are not the most severe, you still need an attorney to help you. Your lawyer can develop effective defense strategies so you hopefully do not have to pay any costly fines or spend any time behind bars. If you are found guilty, your lawyer can help you figure out how to comply with the terms of your sentence or begin the appeals process.

    To begin your case with a free evaluation, call our attorneys for a case in Hammonton joint municipal court at the Lombardo Law Group, LLC at (609) 418-4537.

    What Kind of Cases Go to the Hammonton Joint Municipal Court?

    Joint municipal courts are like typical municipal courts you might find in other jurisdictions, but they cover a geographic area comprised of two municipalities. There are numerous joint municipal courts throughout the State of New Jersey. These courts often hear various criminal cases along with certain violations of ordinances and regulations.

    According to N.J.S.A. § 2B: 12-71, joint municipal courts have jurisdiction over a variety of smaller offenses that occur within the designated geographic jurisdiction of the court. Common cases include traffic tickets and parking violations. Our attorneys for a case in Hammonton joint municipal court have handled a variety of cases like these.

    You might also go to joint municipal court for disorderly persons offenses or petty disorderly persons offenses. Remember, New Jersey does not use the terms “felony” or “misdemeanor.” A disorderly persons offense is somewhat similar to a lesser misdemeanor in other states. A petty disorderly persons offense is even more minor and more akin to a summary offense or infraction.

    Other cases that may end up in joint municipal court include hearings to collect a penalty, violations of fish and game laws, boating law violations, and various other proceedings where jurisdiction over the matter is granted to joint municipal court by statute.

    Do I Need a Lawyer for a Case in Hammonton Joint Municipal Court?

    Since many of the cases that go through Hammonton joint municipal court are not the most serious, people sometimes think they can handle their cases alone. This is not a good idea. While criminal charges in joint municipal court are not as serious as indictable crimes, they might still carry steep fines and even jail time in some cases. You should hire a lawyer to help you fight the charges.

    According to N.J.S.A. § 2C:1-4(a)(1), criminal offenses that may carry a sentence of no less than 6 months in jail are generally considered indictable crimes. The disorderly persons offenses and petty disorderly persons offenses heard in joint municipal court carry lesser penalties. Under the law, offenses that carry 30 days in jail or less as a possible punishment may be designated as these offenses. Your attorney can help you check the statutes relevant to your charges to determine your exact possible penalties.

    The bottom line is that even though many of the cases heard in joint municipal court are less serious than indictable crimes, they might still carry harsh penalties. Nobody wants to spend time behind bars, not even for a few weeks. On top of that, tickets and citations heard in this court might carry steep fines that you cannot afford.

    How to Defend Yourself in the Hammonton Joint Municipal Court

    Even though the cases in joint municipal court are often less severe than indictable crimes, you should still be interested in defending yourself. Remember, just because these are not more serious offenses does not mean steep fines or jail time are not on the line.

    In cases like traffic or parking tickets, your attorney can help challenge the validity of the ticket. Perhaps you were not parked in the area indicated on the ticket. Maybe the police officer did not fill out the necessary information on the traffic citation. These procedural mistakes might invalidate the citation, and you might not have to pay.

    If you are facing disorderly person offenses for some alleged offense, we can help you challenge the elements of the supposed offense. For example, providing certain tobacco and smoking products or paraphernalia to people younger than 21 is a petty disorderly persons offense that might end up in joint municipal court. If you did not provide these products or the alleged minors were in fact over 21, we can help you prove it.

    What Happens if I am Found Guilty in the Hammonton Joint Municipal Court

    If you are found guilty of your alleged offense, the court may order you to pay all necessary fines and fees, and the issue of jail time, if applicable, will be determined. Your lawyer can help you through this process in several ways. First, we can help you comply with all court orders to avoid further trouble. At the level of joint municipal court, the police are probably not going to escort you away in handcuffs. You are expected to make any payments or report to a detention center on your own. Your lawyer can help you comply and avoid breaking procedural rules.

    Next, we can help you appeal the ruling against you if you wish. The tickets might be too much to afford, or you were wrongly found guilty. If any legal errors were made during your hearing, we can bring them up on appeal.

    Call our Attorneys for a Case in Hammonton Joint Municipal Court for Help Now

    To begin your case with a free evaluation, call our attorneys for a case in Hammonton joint municipal court at the Lombardo Law Group, LLC at (609) 418-4537.

    Awards & Recognitions

    Three Convenient Locations

    Haddonfield (Main Office)
    25 Chestnut Street, Ste 2
    Haddonfield New Jersey 08033
    (856) 281-9600
    (877) 340-0609
    Hammonton Office
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    (609) 561-8100
    (877) 340-0609
    Atlantic City Office
    1014 Atlantic Avenue
    Atlantic City, New Jersey 08401
    (609) 318-6196
    (877) 340-0609
    Get a Free Case Review by Phone