Is It Possible To Expunge An Underage Drinking Citation?

The short answer to this question is yes, it is possible to expunge an underage drinking citation. However, certain conditions must be met in order for an expungement to be granted. In this article, juvenile crimes lawyer Joseph Lombardo will go over the penalties for underage drinking in New Jersey, and explain how the expungement process works. Continue reading

What Happens if I Get Injured on Someone Else’s Property?

Premises liability is the part of personal injury law that deals with injuries which occur on other people’s properties, or premises.  The most common type of premises liability claims are slip and fall accidents, which are often caused by unsafe property conditions.  If somebody is seriously injured on another person’s property, be it residential or commercial, the injury victim may be able to recover compensation depending on how and why the injury occurred.

Continue reading

What to Do After a Car Accident in New Jersey?

Hopefully, you will never get into an automotive accident.  Unfortunately, the statistics aren’t exactly favorable.  According to the New Jersey Department of Transportation, over 280,000 crashes occurred in 2013 alone, or about 767 accidents each day.  If the worst does happen, it helps to be prepared.  In this article, car accident lawyer Joseph Lombardo will explain the steps drivers should (and shouldn’t) take after getting into a crash or collision with another vehicle.  Taking the right steps is critical if you plan to file a personal injury claim – and if you want to avoid getting arrested. Continue reading

Can You Expunge a Felony in New Jersey?

Rebuilding your life after going through the justice system can be a daunting task.  As of 2012, the number of Americans with blemishes on their records was a whopping 100.5 million according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.  As anyone with a criminal record will tell you, mistakes made in the past can result in discrimination in the present. However, it may be possible to seal your record with an expungement. Continue reading

U.S. Supreme Court: Gay Marriage Legal in All 50 States

In a landmark victory for gay rights, the United States Supreme Court on Friday ruled 5-4 in Obergefell v. Hodges that same-sex marriage is a protected right for Americans in all 50 states under the Constitution. In the majority opinion Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote, “The court now holds that same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry. No longer may this liberty be denied to them.” The written opinion further stated, “The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State.” Family law lawyer Joseph Lombardo covers the story.

Continue reading

How to Get Something Expunged? Sealing Juvenile Records

Are Juvenile Records Sealed?

Often the answer is no – especially if you or a child are arrested for a serious offense or even felony charges. A conviction is a tough experience for both the offender and family. Teenagers make mistakes and often find themselves on the wrong side of the law. They go through the judicial process, juvenile defense, pay fines and sometimes serve time as punishment for their errors. What’s worse, is that after the ordeal is over, they find themselves fighting an uphill battle in their college applications and careers, with a criminal record that hangs like a shadow over their lives.

Continue reading

Does Expungement Affect Immigration?

There’s both good news and bad news for people with expunged criminal convictions who are thinking of immigrating to the United States.  The bad news is that even if your record is sealed, certain convictions can still prevent you from successfully obtaining citizenship. The good news is that there are exceptions to this rule, and it may be possible to legally enter the U.S. even if you have a sealed criminal record.  In this blog post, expungement lawyer Joseph Lombardo will explain how it’s possible for a sealed record to be reviewed, some of the convictions which can block you from entering the United States, and scenarios where it may be possible to gain entry by obtaining a waiver.

Continue reading

Why Do I Need a Lawyer for an Expungement?

Having a criminal record can interfere with every aspect of your life, limiting employment, housing, and lending opportunities while burdening you with a negative social stigma.  However, you may be able to clear your name by obtaining something called an expungement, which seals your record so that it cannot be accessed by the vast majority of the general public.  Unfortunately, this legal process is complicated, and it’s easy to make a mistake which could compromise your case.  If you’re trying to seal your criminal record in New Jersey, it’s in your best interest to seek experienced legal representation from an expungement attorney.

Continue reading

Can I Join the Military with an Expunged Record?

Having a criminal record attached to your name can create serious obstacles when it comes to applying for loans, housing, and employment opportunities, including careers in the United States Armed Forces. However, if you meet certain eligibility requirements, you may be able to seal your record through a legal process known as “expungement.”  In this blog entry, New Jersey expungements attorney Joseph Lombardo will explain how expunging or sealing your criminal record affects your ability to enlist in the U.S. Military.

Continue reading